You’ve bought all types of laundry detergents, hoping that one day you’ll find the one. But now you’re standing in 3 feet of suds and your clothes are probably in a worse state than they were before.
Don’t fret! We’re here to help you brush up on the basics on doing laundry responsibly and effectively:
First off, there are several types of detergents:
These are very effective against oil spills, grease and food stains. Because they’re fluids, they can be used to pre-treat stains as well. If you have a lot of spills and stains on your clothes, use the liquid detergent to spot treat. Also, use the cold wash option to make sure the detergent dissolves completely.
If you have to wash clothes every day, use powder detergents. They are more effective at erasing ground-in stains or everyday stains. If you or your family need the same clothes everyday (like uniforms, pants etc), use powder detergent.
These are less messy, more convenient but also slightly more expensive than your every-day detergent. However, if you tend to launder your clothes infrequently, these pods might prove effective.
Now that you have the laundry detergent you need, here’s the lowdown on what you can wash at home:
- Cotton – Cotton can be machine-washed in cold or warm water with similar colors.
- Synthetic fibers – such as nylon, spandex, acrylic, acetate and polyester. When washing these clothes, use hot water and use a gentle cycle (also use a dryer sheet) when drying.
Here is a list of clothing that you should send for dry cleaning:
- Linen – Linen has to be hand-washed and air-dried otherwise it loses its clean finish and crispness.
- Rayon – Rayon is quite tricky to wash since it can shrink and even lose its shape in warm water. Although it’s recommended that you hand wash it in cold water using a mild detergent, you’d be better off getting it dry cleaned
- Silk – this is a luxurious fabric that requires gentle cleaning as well
- Wool – Although a sturdy fabric, wool should always be dry cleaned, otherwise it will shrink in hot water
Come to Reid’s Cleaners & Laundry!